A triathletes bike is one of their most prized possessions. We normally spend thousands of dollars on them and are with them more than most members of our family. So when we travel with our bikes we need to make sure they stay safe.
Many triathletes have to get a bike rack to travel with their precious cargo. Some opt for ceiling racks while others will go for the hitch mounted ones. To each his own.
Personally I have a carbon fiber bike and as most triathletes with carbon bikes will tell you, you should think about getting a bike rack that won’t hold the frame of your bike. The bumps and holes that you hit while driving puts a lot of stress on the bike frame and carbon bikes don’t hold up well to those forces.
Like most things in the triathlon world that means you are left with the more expensive option: the wheel mounting bike racks. The particular wheel mounting rack that I will review today is the T2 Classic Bike Rack by Thule.
T2 Classic Bike Rack Review
If you are used to a little dinky rear-mounted bike rack then this one is going to certainly stand apart. Coming in over 50 pounds this rack is built to withstand the harshest of elements.
After sweating close to 50 pounds just getting it out of the box the actual set-up process was fairly simple. A screw here, a bolt there. Nothing too crazy and every tool (except a screwdriver) was included in the box.
Pros of the T2 Classic
- Sturdy at over 50 pounds.
- Ratcheting arm clamps hold the tire so there is no frame contact.
- Can be used on kids bikes all the way up to fat bikes.
- Easily folds vertically when not in use.
- Includes locking mechanisms to secure in hitch and prevent theft.
Cons of the T2 Classic
- Heavy. Really heavy.
- Tools needed for adjustment (you have to bring them with you).
- You have to put it together. It isn’t hard but does take time.
- Fairly expensive if you are used to a cheap mount.
Overall I am happy to say that I have been using this bike mount for over 6 months and have yet to have any issues. Besides the weight the Thule T2 Classic bike rack has been a trusted workhorse and will continue to be my go-to.